77/101 Journals

 

It has been a while since I worked on this series, but I am back and am planning to get to 101 much quicker then I got to 77 ūüôā This is a traveller’s notebook using Sizzix Scoreboard Journal die¬†#661906. Just had to have it and I love working with it.

The notebook is for a very special lady who has written a wonderful book called The Listening Space¬†and has been my mastermind buddy for many years. I promised her I would get started on my 100 journals, forgetting that I had already done 76 ūüôā At least I am consistent in my desire to find more time to be creative.

I filled the journal with 3 hand-made notebooks  which are covered in some Gelli printed paper and some of the gorgeous large Accucut Butterflies #10

The cover and letters are up-cycled cardboard and I print lots of my Gelli plate prints onto magazine paper. It does not always have to be expensive to look pretty and be useful.

Advertisements

Waiting Sketch

Waiting 05One more of my quick sketches. This time after a painting by Mustafa Horasan.  The facial expressions in the original are just wonderful. I am not even close but I learned something.
I just could not get decent stripes on those trousers until I used some washi tape instead of trying to paint them with acrylics, pens and inks.

The other feature I like in the original are the bold colour blocks.  Might have to have another go at this.

75/101 Journals ‘Dream out loud’ & Ideas to use foils

Yup I am going to get there, only another 26 journals to my 101 goal.

I have been experimenting with foil. Initially I was not so keen – the colours are a bit ‘in your face’ and I could not get anything to work. But then……..

This flower journal was cut from the Accucut Flower die Рof course from a recycled carton. I used  bonding powder on my stamp images to embellish the background of the front cover. The letters are created from carton. I stuck double sided tape on them before die cutting the letters. Then I foiled the letters by dabbing parts of the sticky surface on the white foil and then the gold foil.

WOW foils for a distressed look

That got me thinking about what else these foils might stick to. I had heard somebody say that they stick to laser printed images. My laser printer is dead so I could not test that, but I tried them on acrylic paints and that works astonishingly well. Dry acrylic paint and a bit of free form hard rubbing gives you an instant distressed look. I particular love using the white foil which has a matte finish for this Рa great distressing tool! And it is permanent. See the dots on that back page? The are the negative of the dots on the front page. Do not throw away your used foils. You can rub off what is remaining on acrylic paint and get double the shape for your money!

Continuing to play, I tried the foils  together with painted die cuts. I made a sandwich Рfoil on top of die cut and  put them together in an embossing folder and rolled them through the die cutting machine. Voila: Another winner!! The flower on the journal is created with turquoise acrylic paint and gold foil.

I achieved some wonderful looks – even with the brighter ‘in your face’ foil colours. Gorgeous two tone shimmers, that would be difficult to achieve with anything else. On other samples the foil just settled in the lines to highlight the dry embossing. Impossible to achieve with anything else!

WOW Foil white on wedgewood blue

WOW Foil gold on brown

WOW Foil sparkly silver on red

WOW Foil red on green

Lots more samples and ideas with foils can be found here