Yup I am going to get there, only another 26 journals to my 101 goal.
I have been experimenting with foil. Initially I was not so keen – the colours are a bit ‘in your face’ and I could not get anything to work. But then……..
This flower journal was cut from the Accucut Flower die – of course from a recycled carton. I used bonding powder on my stamp images to embellish the background of the front cover. The letters are created from carton. I stuck double sided tape on them before die cutting the letters. Then I foiled the letters by dabbing parts of the sticky surface on the white foil and then the gold foil.
That got me thinking about what else these foils might stick to. I had heard somebody say that they stick to laser printed images. My laser printer is dead so I could not test that, but I tried them on acrylic paints and that works astonishingly well. Dry acrylic paint and a bit of free form hard rubbing gives you an instant distressed look. I particular love using the white foil which has a matte finish for this – a great distressing tool! And it is permanent. See the dots on that back page? The are the negative of the dots on the front page. Do not throw away your used foils. You can rub off what is remaining on acrylic paint and get double the shape for your money!
Continuing to play, I tried the foils together with painted die cuts. I made a sandwich – foil on top of die cut and put them together in an embossing folder and rolled them through the die cutting machine. Voila: Another winner!! The flower on the journal is created with turquoise acrylic paint and gold foil.
I achieved some wonderful looks – even with the brighter ‘in your face’ foil colours. Gorgeous two tone shimmers, that would be difficult to achieve with anything else. On other samples the foil just settled in the lines to highlight the dry embossing. Impossible to achieve with anything else!
Lots more samples and ideas with foils can be found here